National Restaurant Awards 2016
On 27th June, Restaurant Magazine’s National Restaurant Awards 2016 took place at the Hurlingham Club in London. The top hundred UK restaurants were chosen by 150 industry experts, including chefs, critics and restaurateurs. Each voter had seven votes to select the order in which these top restaurants appear.
The top ten
- The River Café in London is an Italian restaurant with a seasonal menu and a top wine list. In the summer months, enjoy the outdoor dining terrace. This restaurant was also given the Best Italian Award.
- Lyle’s in Shoreditch took the next spot, in spite of only having three main courses on the menu.
- L’Enclume in the Lake District is at number eight. This riverside restaurant includes a lavish tasting menu.
- Piquet in London only opened last year and is this year’s highest new entry. This restaurant serves modern European cuisine.
- The Clove Club in Shoreditch is housed in the old town hall. It serves a five-course tasting menu using unusual British ingredients. This restaurant was also given the Service Award.
- Restaurant Nathan Outlaw in Port Isaac is a boutique seaside hotel. Enjoy seafood while admiring the stunning views.
- Hedone in Chiswick was opened in 2011 by food blogger Mikael Jonsson. It serves modern European cuisine made from fresh, seasonal; ingredients.
- The Ledbury in Notting Hill was named third-best. This restaurant was opened in 2005 by Australian chef Brett Graham.
- Barrafina Adelaide Street in London was last year’s winner and continues to be very popular. With only 29 bar stools at this top tapas bar, diners often have to queue to get in.
The UK's best restaurant
The Sportsman in Seasalter, Kent was last year’s runner-up but grabbed the top spot this year. It has come a long way from what chef Stephen Harris described as a “grotty, run-down pub by the sea.” It was also named as Best Gastropub and holds a Michelin star.