Best burger restaurants in the UK
The humble burger has come a long way from its roots as a patty of inferior meat topped with tasteless cheese and perhaps a limp lettuce leaf. Burgers today are made from a variety of top-quality meats, including steak, chicken and venison, and the different toppings are limited only by the imagination. Served in a roll that has been freshly baked, these burgers are where gourmet cuisine and casual dining meet.
Top London burger joints
- Bobo Social in Fitzrovia serves up rare-breed burgers, including kangaroo and lobster, as well as traditional beef. They are accompanied by a range of salads and sides.
- Haché is a chain with branches in Camden, Chelsea, Shoreditch, Clapham and Balham. Choose from steak, lamb, chicken or vegetarian burgers served with a variety of toppings in a fresh ciabatta or brioche bun.
- Rox Burger in Lewisham serves beef or chicken burgers with an inventive range of toppings, including jalapeño peppers, Brindisa blue cheese, chorizo and Portobello mushrooms.
Elsewhere in the UK
The rest of the UK never lags far behind London with food trends, and new burger restaurants are opening across the nation.
- Bell's Diner in Edinburgh has been serving quality burgers for over 40 years. Beef, steak, nut and bean burgers are served with butters, including garlic and chilli, a choice of cheese, bacon and Provençal sauce.
- Atomic Burger in Oxford is a funky restaurant offering burgers crafted with high-quality meat from local suppliers. An eclectic range of toppings includes Camembert, guacamole, red onion marmalade and jalapeños.
- Steak & Honour in Cambridge is a higher-end take on the standard burger van. These burgers are traditional but made only with superior ingredients that are locally sourced whenever possible.
Coggings & Co in Brighton uses meat from local Sussex farms and serves burgers with triple-cooked chips. Toppings include mushroom tapenade, mango salsa and Barkham blue cheese.